I’ve never tried a caramel mud cake before today, so what better opportunity than when you have some friends to cater for and to be guinea pigs. I came up with a recipe for the cake and went in search of a caramel ganache recipe. Surprisingly, the only recipes for caramel ganache I could find had dark (bittersweet) chocolate in them. I gave one a go but was disappointed in the ‘chocolate ganache’ result. The cake wasn’t as dense as a typical mud cake but was really moist and delicious.
Without all the ingredients to try a new ganache recipe, caramel mud cake with chocolatey ganache it was. However, the OCD me fixed the ganache when I got home [better late than never 🙂 ]. Not the best photography, but a great result. Here’s the recipe, I will definitely make this one again.
CARAMEL MUD CAKE
200g white chocolate melts
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 Tab golden syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla paste
1 cup plain flour
1 cup self-raising flour
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Line a 20cm cake pan with baking paper.
3. Place butter, chocolate melts, sugar, water, golden syrup and vanilla paste in a saucepan and stir until smooth.
4. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
5. Add eggs one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
6. Add combined flours and whisk until mixture is smooth.
7. Pour into cake pan.
8. Bake for approximately 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Stand cake for 20 minutes before removing from tin and cooling on a cooling rack.
60g white chocolate
140g double cream
1. Place sugar in a saucepan and make a dry caramel by melting over a moderate heat. Do not stir, swirl gently until the sugar is melted and dissolved and turns amber in colour.
2. Remove from heat and carefully add half the cream and stir until blended. If toffee begins to set again return to a gentle heat to dissolve.
3. Add chocolate and butter and stir until melted then add the remaining cream.
4. Place in refrigerator and allow to cool completely, ganache will thicken when cool.
5. Ice cake with ganache and serve.